Our strategy for environmental stewardship
As responsible miners, we are committed to protect biodiversity, air and water quality, and to meet or exceed environmental regulatory requirements wherever we operate during all stages of a mine’s life cycle.
Our corporate environmental governance programs are embodied within Kinross’ Corporate Responsibility Management System (CRMS). They include environmental management standards, reporting requirements, performance metrics, and an audit program. Environmental performance is included in the Corporate Responsibility Performance Metric (CRPM) and, therefore, all employee incentives are tied to environmental compliance with Kinross’ environmental management system.
The CRMS is based on international standards for management systems (ISO14001), expanded to include specific Kinross programs for key issues facing the Company:
- Permitting and Design
- Water Management
- Energy and Climate Change
- Waste Management
- Mine Reclamation and Closure
We reinforced our commitment and management of the environment through a number of important initiatives in 2012 and 2013, including:
- Enhanced our compliance management systems, including an independent assessment of our environmental obligations tracking and management at each site;
- Formalized our permitting strategy for improved facility design and permitting success;
- Launched a comprehensive water strategy to strengthen our awareness, management and protection of water resources;
- Strengthened our biological resources management to support each site in the development of Biological Resources Management Plans;
- Advanced Cyanide Code certification, achieving certification at Chirano and recertification at key sites;
- Formalized an Energy Management strategy to create a sustainable energy culture across the Company.