Corporate Responsibility Performance Metric
The Corporate Responsibility Performance Metric (CRPM) is a comprehensive measure of site-level performance in the areas of health and safety, environment, and community relations. These metrics are administered separately by the respective functions, but are reported as a combined metric for the CR Committee of the Board of Directors. Annual targets are set for each region and are rolled up to establish a corporate target, and are cascaded down to set site-level targets. These targets are included as the “First Priorities” in the Company’s performance management and short-term incentive program.
Health and Safety
- Leading indicators are set by each site and could include performance vs. target for activities such as the number of task observations conducted, the number of planned inspections, training hours, etc.
- Lagging indicators include performance compared with corporate, regional and site targets for total reportable injury frequency rate and injury severity rate.
- Leading Indicators include internal inspections, environmental training, water balance, long-term planning, and strategic focus on water strategy;
- Lagging Indicators include enforcement and regulatory notices, major releases, and status of compliance with all performance and reporting obligations;
- Status of Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and audits, including EMS and regulatory compliance audits, engineered risk assessments (ERAs), Cyanide Code recertification, and Tailings Reviews;
- Engagement indicators include the balance of positive vs. negative stakeholder interactions during the quarter, based on the number of stakeholders engaged, media coverage, appreciation letters vs. complaints, grievances and their timely resolution, community-related incidents, and perception surveys (employee and public);
- Community investment indicators include the effectiveness of site spending on community support, including donations spending vs. budget, in-kind contributions, number of beneficiaries, measures of success defined for donations, positive press, and the site benefit footprint;
- Status of Site Responsibility Plan (SRP) implementation and audit, as well as progress against site-specific annual programmatic objectives in the area of community relations.