Corporate responsibility strategy
Our Corporate Responsibility Strategy integrates corporate responsibility into our business strategy at each stage of the mine life cycle by establishing:
- A policy framework to articulate our commitments in specific areas based on our Ten Guiding Principles;
- A Corporate Responsibility Management System (CRMS) to define standards and guidelines to implement these policies at our operations;
- Core programs to drive performance in these areas, such as training, audits, emergency response drills, and risk assessments;
- Performance metrics and site-specific annual CR targets incorporated into the corporate performance targets for each Kinross operation and tracked on a quarterly and annual basis;
- Systematic governance of Company CR performance by the CR Committee of the Board of Directors.
In 2012 and 2013, we realized several accomplishments which advanced our strategy:
- In 2012 piloted, and in 2013 integrated, our key Site Responsibility Plan (SRP) metrics into our quarterly performance evaluation at the site and regional levels. SRP performance is included among Kinross’ first priorities for short-term incentives for compensation alongside health, safety and environmental performance.
- Fully established our audit program to measure SRP implementation at Kinross’ operations and development projects.
- Reviewed and strengthened our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics in key areas pertaining to human rights.
- Updated our biological resources management to include eco-system services and support the preparation of Biological Resources Management Plans at each Kinross site.
- Enhanced our compliance management systems pertaining to environmental obligations.
- Updated our Health and Safety Policy to reflect Kinross’ regional model.
- Launched a company-wide water strategy to strengthen awareness, management and protection of water resources across the Company.